In this class, students will learn basic choreography and vocal technique as they prepare a medley of popular musical numbers from the Broadway musical Newsies. Working as an ensemble, this class builds the essential musical theatre skills for emerging Musical Theatre stars!
This camp will culminate in a performance, or “sharing” on Friday in our main auditorium.
Musical Theatre Classes at this Age Range work on:
• Understanding basic choreography
• Learning about proper breath control while singing
• Understanding musical structure and basic harmonies
• Maintaining vocal volume while dancing
• Learning stage directions and theatre vocabulary
• Understanding spacing (finding their window) during choreographed numbers
• Using loud, clear voices
• Moving as a specific character
• Filling a song with clear and distinct character choices
• Working as an ensemble
• Exercising discipline as they work toward the goal of the show
• Having an absolute blast
NCT’s focus is always the healthy development of young people. We believe that the skills that students learn while participating in the process of theatre will serve them in their everyday lives as well as provide a foundation if they choose to continue to more advanced work (which we hope they do!).
NCT offers free extended care for our families. Before Care opens at 7:30 a.m. and After Care closes at 5:30 p.m. You can add this service during registration or on a day-to-day basis during the camp week. Extended care consists of supervised unstructured free time. Students are welcome to bring a book or electronic device (that NCT is not responsible for). During after care, we will also have a daily option of a G or PG-rated children’s movie playing as an activity choice.